Hey guys, in this day and age we all need to take responsibility for the way we live and the effect we have on our environment. ‘Going Green’ and living a more sustainable lifestyle can be challenging but there are easy ways you can start today 🙂
- Reduce your waste
- The ole saying ‘reduce, reuse, recycle’ is a motto everyone should strive to live by. Reducing waste can be done in a number of ways…
- Buying in bulk at grocery stores- many stores now have bulk sections where you can bring in your own reusable container (preferably glass) to fill up on rice, pasta, nuts, trail mix, coffee, and a whole variety of goods. This reduces your waste of non reusable containers that items typically come in.
- For items you can’t buy in bulk (i.e our dairy free coconut milk yogurt) re-purpose the containers it comes in. You can use it as a Tupperware for leftover food or use it as a plant pot in your garden. I use it as containers for our homemade dish soap as well!
- PLEASE make the switch to a reusable water bottle if you haven’t already!
- Say NO to plastic bags at stores- bring your own reusable bags into any store you go, it may feel weird at first, but it’s a very sustainable habit people should practice.
- Bring your own To-Go container when you go out to eat. You already have a gazillion containers at home to use, do you really need a Styrofoam box from the restaurant?
- For anything you can’t reduce or reuse, please recycle! By recycling, those items can be reused and given new life instead of sitting for eternity at a land fill.
- Shop at the local farmers market
- The logistic side of shipping produce/goods is insane- seeing how far fruits and veggies have traveled across the country, and even the world, to the shelves of the grocery store and then your table can make me sick just thinking about it. Sometimes food is in transit for weeks! During this transit period, food must be kept from spoiling with chemicals and pollution is created via the mode of transportation, which really is the worst of both worlds. To combat this, shop locally at your farmers market. Farm to table is the best way to start living a more sustainable life in your home. You’re putting healthier foods into your body and also helping your neighborhood farmer- now that’s a win-win!
- Be conscious of the products you buy
- The fashion industry it’s one of the most damaging global markets there is for numerous reasons. From companies outsourcing labor and paying next to nothing to child workers, the logistics of shipping products and producing pollution along the way, the marketing factor of making people feel like they have to buy certain products in order to ‘fit in’, it’s all environmentally, socially, and emotionally damaging. Instead of supporting the fashion industry and all the negative impacts that come along with it, you can clothes swap with friends and check out the local thrift store. You can rock that sweater from the 80’s waaay better than anyone back then could.
- In regards to beauty and health products- do your research. Use products that are animal and eco-friendly. Check out our handmade, natural, vegan, and eco-friendly soaps here. You can even try your hand at making your own beauty products. Check out our post for more info on homemade tooth paste/powder. There are sustainable companies creating health and beauty products for whatever you’re looking for- just do your research to ensure you’re supporting/funding the right ones!
Shop today some of our favorite products below…
While there are so many other ways you can live a more sustainable life, I’ve only touched on a few that I believe have a big impact on the bigger picture. Drop a comment with any tips and tricks you have to become more sustainable! Love & light, Home Free Hippies ❤
This post contains affiliate links where we earn a small amount of commission on purchases through links at no extra cost to you.